Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dear Sara

For those of you who know me, it is common knowledge that I am not a sappy person. But, fact is, I am celebrating eight years of bliss with my "wife" (because that's what she is less the paperwork), so I feel the sap oozing from my mind...just a little bit.

And, for those of you who know me, it's not a surprise that I don't really like people. People are a foreign breed to me. They are complex when they don't need to be. They are dramatic. They lie. They cheat. They steal. They nurture. They love. They survive. Stupid as it sounds, it is all way above my realm of understanding. Given my emotions toward the species I am a part of, I never anticipated finding someone that I would even want to share the rest of my life with. I did, though, and it has made me elated and frightened and grateful all at once.

Sara, this is for you. Here's to eight years down and many, many more. I love you (God, with this damn blog nothing is sacred anymore, is it?).


Dear Sara,

Do you remember the evening that you stole my heart away? I'll bet you do. We were never even supposed to happen you and I but, we did. And, alas, here we are. It's great isn't it? Please say yes. I want to thank you for the last eight years. It has been easy eight years for me. I'm sure that it I have been more than a pain in the ass for you. I kid. I kid.

Sara, the thing I love best about us is that we are real. We don't really fight because we talk. In eight years I think we've probably had five real fights and I don't remember what a single one of them was about. Do we disagree? Sure. Who doesn't? But, I think what makes us special is that we disagree in a respectful manner. We aren't rude or hurtful. And, we talk. Every single day we talk. Even if we are bitching about work or whining about the challenges presented with our two year old, we talk. For as much as I don't like talking to people, I can't shut up when I am with you. I just can't shut my damn mouth. You're that good.

Sara, I have never met someone so romantic. How in the hell can you balance work, school (full time), exercise, a toddler, me, two dogs, and still manage to be romantic? Are you even human? You're probably one of those super humans we saw on that 20/20 special. That means I better never piss you off. Really? How do you do it? You, who makes it seem effortless to be charming and sweet, got me. I'm not romantic at all. Wham. Bam. Thank you, ma'am. That's the kinda girl I am. For that I am sorry. I try, but, unlike you, my parents didn't get married on Valentines day. Thank you for wooing me. As you know, it never fails.

Thank also you for putting up with my chaos. I am never, ever, satisfied (except for with you). I have a mind that doesn't quit (which must drive you nuts). I am quirky. I am weird. I am spontaneous. I have passed all of that on to our two year old daughter and now you have two of us to deal with. If we were legally married, we should be contributing to the divorce statistics, but, for some reason, we work. A couple of crazies with a stable person equals one fully functioning household. Great.

I appreciate your beauty. You are obsessed with your flaws. I am inspired by your compassion towards humanity. You think you are too trusting. I think you are sooo brilliant. You think I have the memory like a steal trap. Honey, I keep telling you the contents are useless. I am flabbergasted at how you can be so laid back, but, at the same time, equally as impatient as me. That one I don't get...

Look at the life we have built together. It's pretty phenomenal, isn't it? Noteworthy I would say. We wouldn't be here today if it weren't for you. We wouldn't be here today if it weren't for me. I love that our life is boring and overwhelming all at the same time. I am excited at the family we have created together. I anxious and nervous to expand that family, but relieved that I have you to share it with. I love us, Sara Sue. You, me, Graisyn Quinn, and our dopey dogs. Thank you for loving us too.

Happy eight years, Love. Cheers to more to come. I can't wait!

Love,

Your wife

P.S. I do still write in that book I created for you, Honey. I haven't in few months, but I think there might be some new stuff in there...




1 comment:

  1. You are a sneaky one aren't you?! I was sitting next to you the whole time you wrote this. Brat! I love you more, to fin-finity!

    ReplyDelete