Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Now That's a Loaded Question

School began this week, so, in typical procrastinator fashion, I broke out my homework yesterday evening. This was my first homework assignment for the Economics class I enrolled in this semester. I was not entirely worried about the submissions I had to make for the week because I read the syllabus in advance and noted that the assignment was merely a "getting to know you" type of deal. Oooo! This is the best kind of homework!

I moseyed on through the assignment and shared my expectations of myself, of the class, and of my professor. I babbled on about what my ideal career would be, and I summarized what economics meant to me. Then I came to a question that caused me to hesitate and, after the short pause, apply my answer with brutal honesty. The question was this:

"What are other things you do with your time? Full time student? Work? Job title? Stay at home parent? Other? Favorite hobbies?"

Well, okay. You asked. 

I am a part-time student that recently change her major from Forensic Science to Technical Communications and has a full time job working as a Sales Assistant soon to be a Sales Manager or Representative or whatever you want to call it at a local insurance company. I have an "unofficial" wife who also works full time at an area hospital. She is a second semester nursing student at the tech which means she somehow manages to pull a full class load on top of her full time job.

Together we have a two, almost three, year old. She is the highlight of our lives. Full of piss and vinegar, but the highlight nonetheless.

We own two boxer dogs and foster boxers for the Green Acres Boxer Rescue. Currently we have three canines, all of varying stature and mental status, roaming our abode.

I like to run for fun (and rhyme too apparently). Last year I ran the full marathon for the Fox Cities Festival of Races. This year I will be running the half.

I enjoy writing and am on my way to publishing my first children's book. I say "on my way" because the only thing holding me back is finding time to complete the damn artwork.

We currently own our home and are trying to sell it. It hasn't moved and I'm blaming the economy, Professor. Truthfully, though, I know it has everything to do with the construction across the street.

We are also trying to expand our family. Crazy. Yes. Stupid. At the exact moment, probably. But, you only live once and I don't want our kids to be a decade apart from each other. I want them to be able to share some life stages together yet be far enough apart that the younger of the twerps can seek advice from the oldest. Besides, I'm really good at managing a budget.

I completed my response to the question by noting that I am in no condition to be adding school to my agenda. Don't worry, Mr. Professor. I promise that I have a lot of drive and am equipped with the same piss and vinegar that my two-year old has. Therefore, I will be successful.

When I was finished responding, I read what I had spewed. It was truthful, witty...it followed the usual smart ass Sam style, and it sounded insane. It really did sound crazy. I know that everyone has a busy life, but I wonder if they have ever been forced to look at it like I just had to. I wonder. If you haven't, you should. My guess is that you'll be as surprised as I was.







No comments:

Post a Comment